New Garden continues to co-sponsor a number of Afghan households – join us! Activities include transportation to the grocery store, medical appointments, family outings to a local park, helping a family set up a bank account, etc. There are lots of individuals and households that can still benefit from the help of a dedicated team or small group! Email Cindy Knul if interested.
Volunteers currently needed:
African Services Coalition is moving a large number of households over the next week and needs support setting up the new homes. If you love staging a home, unpacking boxes, setting up kitchens and bedrooms, or moving furniture, text Aaron at 336-686-2879. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Ongoing household donations collection in the basement:
Through the end of April, New Garden continues to collect, sort, and compile donations of household items for newcomer Afghan families. We also have a couple of nicer pieces of furniture we would like to sell and put the money back into the refugee fund. Below are the open hours to drop off items as well as the list of items we are currently accepting. Contact Lizzie Biddle or Martha Hughes-James regarding any of these items.
Items we are selling:
- A large dark, solid wood TV cabinet, small minor damage on one foot- 85” x 52” x 25”
- Drop leaf oak table 47.5” when open, 20.5” when leaves are down. 36” x 28.5” off the ground
- Smaller oak table 38”x 29.5”
- Large oriental rug – appears to be a combination of Tabriz and Heriez patterns; beautiful red & blue, handmade, wool, short pile, approximately 13’10” x 10′ in pretty good shape. Has some wear & tear as would be expected with age. Edge binding & fringe both have damage.
- Beautiful full-sized wood bed frame (either walnut or mahogany)
- Iron full-sized bed frame
Photos of items available in this Google Drive: https://tinyurl.com/mwyjr9xh
Open hours for the basement:
- Wednesdays 2-5 p.m.
- Thursdays and Saturdays 12:30 – 3 p.m.
We are currently accepting the following:
- Mattresses & box springs (especially twin; no kings)
- New pillows
- Twin sheet sets Twin & full bedspreads
- Blankets & mattress pads all sizes Metal bed frames (no head/footboards/bed frames)
- Microwaves Blenders/juicers
- Teapots & teakettles Pressure cookers (old school style)
- Handheld can openers
- Trash cans variety of sizes Framed mirrors
- Area rugs Vacuum cleaners
- Irons/ironing boards Wall clocks
- Alarm clocks Televisions (later models, cords/remotes)