The Peace and Social Concerns Committee is working to help New Garden Friends Meeting incorporate more immediate social and economic justice actions into our everyday lives. Thus, every weekly newsletter will include one Anti-Racist Action suggestion and one website whereby members can find minority-owned business to support, if they so choose. The Meeting is not endorsing or advertising these businesses; we just feel it’s important to spread dollars more equitably to all community members and entrepreneurs. Suggestions for future ideas/submissions can be sent to Traci Claywell, 336-554-1534 by call/text or email to (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Anti-Racist Actions You Can Take Now:
Explore, donate, and/or take a training with All on the Line, (AOTL), a national campaign on a “mission to end gerrymandering” by restoring “fairness to our democracy and (ensuring) every American has an equal say in our government.” AOTL provides training opportunities for nine distinct states, including North Carolina.
As described on its webpage, “Over the last decade, North Carolinians were forced to vote in elections with manipulated electoral maps in place all but guaranteeing a single outcome. Sign up for our Redistricting Leadership Program to get trained to become a leader in the fight for fair maps in our state! In this course you will:
- Learn how North Carolina’s redistricting process works on a technical level.
- Understand the state’s recent redistricting history and how politicians manipulated electoral maps to disenfranchise certain communities.
- Learn how to interpret district maps and evaluate how they do or do not represent your community.
- Practice the most effective ways to participate in the redistricting process including best practices for attending public hearings, participating in official online comment periods, contacting legislators, creating media clips and moments, and other techniques.
- Receive training on how to teach others about these concepts and mobilize your community to show up during the 2021 redistricting process. This is an online course that you may move through at your own pace. New course content will be released throughout the year. To learn more about AOTL, and/or register for this specific training, click https://tinyurl.com/y6xlb5fe or or visit www.allontheline.org.
Local Minority-Owned Business You Can Support Now:
Log-in to https://tinyurl.com/y4jrejto home of the Greater Greensboro Black Chamber of Commerce website, whose mission is to serve “as an advocate for the creation, growth and general welfare of African American businesses in the Triad. We are focused on facilitating economic growth for the business community by providing access to business resources and opportunities that add value. Creating Change and Community!” Explore their website to discover businesses, events and program that support our local minority-owned entrepreneurial community!