Friends Committee on North Carolina Legislation (FCNCL) is seeking participation by Friends in North Carolina in developing legislative priorities to guide our advocacy in the 2023 – 24 state legislative session. We hope that a large cross-section of New Garden Friends will participate in this discernment process.
Please carefully consider state legislative issues to which we can apply Quaker values as we interact with our legislators. You may send a list of your top priorities to Dot Mason. We invite you to the New Garden Forum, via Zoom, on May 15, 9:30 a.m., to discuss these issues and select New Garden’s list of priorities.
We encourage you go to https://fcncl.wordpress.com to get a sense of what FCNCL has accomplished in the last two-and-one-half years. The legislative priorities for the 2021-2022 session are:
- ELECTORAL REFORM – We support:
- Creating an independent non-partisan commission to redraw fair maps.
- Legislation that ensures fair and free elections and upholds voting rights.
- Measures promoting strong government ethics
- ACCESS TO QUALITY HEALTHCARE – We support:
- Medicaid Expansion
- Reproductive Rights
- ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION MEASURES – We support:
- Preserving natural areas, air and water quality
- Environmental justice
- Preventing coal ash and concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) pollution
- Mitigating climate change, especially through clean energy and ceasing environmental policy rollbacks
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORMS – We support:
- Ending Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids
- Abolishing the death penalty