Challenging Racism / April 26, 2022

Before the NCFF Antiracism Working Group monthly Zoom meeting on Thursday, April 28, here is one more quote from Robin DiAngelo, author of Nice Racism: How Progressive White People Perpetuate Racial Harm, which is the focus for that discussion; “Black people expect us to manifest our racial conditioning at times, and are less concerned about that than about how we respond when this is pointed out, what we are willing to do to repair, and…

North Carolina Fellowship of Friends Working Group Invitation / April 28, 2022

All are welcome to join the Antiracism Working Group of the North Carolina Fellowship of Friends in a Zoom meeting on Thursday, April 28 at 7 p.m. The book “Nice Racism: How Progressive White People Perpetuate Racial Harm” by Robin DiAngelo will be the focus. Having read the book is not a requirement. There will also be a time for worship at the end, led by Lia Scholl, the new pastor at First Friends Meeting.…

Refugee Support Update / April 26, 2022

New Garden continues to co-sponsor a number of Afghan households – join us! Activities include transportation to the grocery store, medical appointments, family outings to a local park, helping a family set up a bank account, etc. There are lots of individuals and households that can still benefit from the help of a dedicated team or small group! Email Cindy Knul if interested ([email protected]). We are still collecting funds in support of these efforts that…

NC Quaker Men Spring Fling / May 5, 2022

Thursday, May 5, 5:57 p.m. / The Depot at Cody Creek, US 601, 1 mile south of DOBSON, NC 27017 / Phone: 336.386.8222 Website: https://www.codycreek.org/ Restaurant Meal: $16+ tax Speakers: Bob and Hope Carter Bob and Hope Carter are medical missionaries who began their career in 1985 serving FUM at Friends Lugulu Hospital in Western Kenya. After Bob earned his master’s degree in public health at UNC-Chapel Hill, they returned to Africa in 1997, serving…

Invitations from Persimmon Grove and Raleigh’s Crossroads / April 15, 2022

From Persimmon Grove AME Good afternoon Brothers and Sisters in Christ. As we prepare our hearts for Holy Week and the reflection of Jesus’ last words from the cross, we invite you to join us, in person, at Persimmon Grove AME Church for our Good Friday Worship Service on April 15 at noon. On Good Friday we remember the day Jesus willingly suffered and died by crucifixion as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. When…

Covid Medical Advisory / April 13, 2022

The CDC continues weekly metrics, updated every Thursday by 8 pm ET at CDC.gov or (800-CDC-INFO).  In Guilford County, community level risk of COVID transmission is currently LOW. There are key spots in the US, as well as the rest of the world,  that are recently experiencing surges with the BA.2 Omicron variant. The northeastern US has seen increasing cases, enough to reinstate an indoor mask mandate in Philadelphia. The NC Health and Human Services Department has changed the COVID dashboard to reflect metrics more likely to…

Challenging Racism / April 13, 2022

From Robin DiAngelo in Nice Racism: How Progressive White People Perpetuate Racial Harm; “Because white people are not socialized to see ourselves in racial terms, we often assume that our experiences and perspectives are the same as BIPOC [Black, Indigenous, People of Color] people’s. . . because I believe that my race does not inform how I experience the world, I don’t see how theirs could either. If I feel comfortable in my overwhelmingly white…

Religious Education News / April 6, 2022

You’re Invited! We will hold our Annual Easter Egg Hunt in the New Garden Friends Meeting Cemetery on Easter Sunday at the rise of 11 a.m. semi-programmed Meeting for Worship! Children are invited to bring a bag or basket and join the fun. All participants should remain masked, maintain appropriate social distance, and stay with their pods/family groups. Childcare on Sunday Morning Are you planning to attend in-person, Semi-programmed Meeting for Worship with a child/children…