Challenging Racism / January 13, 2023

I came across a book review that looks like a good read for myself and a good book for our Little Free Antiracist Library. It is entitled, “The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together”. It is written by Heather McGhee, an African American woman who has coined an expression, “Drained Pool Politics”. She uses the drained pool as a metaphor for many policies and actions that white people…

Quaker Cupboard Seeking Food & Hygiene Donations for Guilford College Students / January 13, 2022

Hi friends, this update comes from Jack and Quinn Finnegan in relation to our efforts to help those experiencing food shortage at Guilford College. Through our Quaker cupboard program we are asking for donations of items such as Ramen, pasta and sauce, nut butter, dried fruits, pop tarts, Gatorade, tortillas, chips, KIND bars, alternative shelf stable milks, other non perishable food items and hygiene products.

Quaker Activist George Lakey Coming to North Carolina / January 2023

This January longtime Quaker activist George Lakey is coming to North Carolina to promote his new memoir Dancing with History: A Life for Peace and Justice. He will also be sharing from his last book How We Win: A Guide to Nonviolent Direct Action Campaigning. We invite you to join us for two virtual and in-person opportunities in the piedmont. • Tuesday, January 17 at 6pm Durham Friends Meeting 404 Alexander Dr. ––Registration required for attending in-person:…

Parsonage Workday This Saturday, January 7, 2023

Saturday, January 7, from 9:00 a.m. till 4:00 p.m. will be a workday at the Parsonage! Our temporary refugee housing ministry is starting to take shape. Bring a lunch and a drink and join your Friends for a day of fellowship and service. We need able bodies to ride with a truck and move furniture  and persons with some interior design sense to help arrange items in the parsonage rooms and kitchen. We will be…

Donations Needed for the Refugee Parsonage Project / January 4, 2023

On January 7th volunteers will be readying the parsonage for temporarily housing newly arrived refugee families. Thank you to all of you who have donated to this project. Below is a list of items that we still need and hope to collect by Saturday, January 7th. For large furniture donations, please contact Roger Seel at [email protected]. He’ll be doing furniture pick ups on Saturday. For all other items, please place them on the first two tables at…

Parsonage Workday / January 7, 2023

Saturday, January 7, from 9:00 a.m. till 4:00 p.m. will be a workday at the Parsonage! Our temporary refugee housing ministry is starting to take shape. Bring a lunch and a drink and join your Friends for a day of fellowship and service. We need able bodies to ride with a truck and move furniture  and persons with some interior design sense to help arrange items in the parsonage rooms and kitchen. We will be…

Challenging Racism / December 27, 2022

Friends, I have some other important advocacy work to tackle in 2023, and it is probably time for a different voice. This is my final CHALLENGING RACISM column for now. It is clearly the responsibility of white people to educate ourselves about ways to dismantle racism and then to take appropriate action. How do we do that effectively? Some ideas: • Read books and watch movies, documentaries, etc. about the experiences of people of color…

Donations Needed for the Refugee Parsonage Project / December 26, 2022

The parsonage will soon be used to temporarily house newly arrived refugee families. In order to make the parsonage ready, we are requesting your assistance in collecting a large amount of furniture and housewares. See list below. For large furniture donations, please contact Roger Seel at [email protected] to arrange drop off or, if you’ll need pick up, to let him know. We will plan a day in early January to pick up all donated furniture…

All Hands on Deck / December 21, 2022

From the introduction of DO the WORK! An Antiracist Activity Book (2022) By W. Kamau Bell (African American man) and Kate Schatz (European American woman): “One, we can’t leave things up to someone else. It’s life or death right now, and that’s really not a joke. Democracy is crumbling before our eyes, the planet is on fire, our communities don’t have what we need to live well, and the gap between those who have and…

Challenging Racism / December 15, 2022

As I’ve been wrapping Christmas presents and sending cards this year, I am reminded that the images of Santas, the Holy Family and other people are primarily white. Occasionally there is a dark-skinned Wise Man or child playing in snow. . . (I have been glad to see some emojis in e-communication that have different skin colors, though.) One year a long time ago I bought some wrapping paper with Black Santas. No one objected,…