During the month of February, and part of March, we will be discussing “The 1619 Project” during our Adult Forum time.
“The 1619 Project is an ongoing initiative from The New York Times Magazine that began in August 2019, the 400th anniversary of the beginning of American slavery. It aims to reframe the country’s history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of black Americans at the very center of our national narrative.”
You can learn more about the 1619 project using the link below.
Each week we will cover a different episode. Friends may choose to read the transcript or listen to the podcast, and do not need to attend all of the forums to participate fully in discussions.
The link to the podcasts and transcripts are provided below.
- February 21: Episode 2:”The Economy That Slavery Built” and/or
We discussed this last Sunday but many were unable to attend due to power outages. There is plenty left to explore. Friends are invited to read the article if they listened to the podcast last week, and to listen to the podcast if they read the article last week.
- February 28: Episode 3: “The Birth of American Music”
- March 7: Episode 4: “How the Bad Blood Started”
- March 14: Episode 5: “The Land of Our Fathers, Part 1”
- March 21: “The Land of Our Fathers, Part 2”